Porta Westfalica, NW, DEUndisclosed Address
single family home
Rothenhoff was mentioned for the first time in 1230. It was one of the court estates of the bishops of Minden and became the property
of the Electorate of Brandenburg when the Duchy of Minden was dissolved. After the end of the Thirty Years‘ War, the estate was given to a Swedish envoy in order to
obtain Swedish approval for the transfer of the Duchy of Minden to Brandenburg. This donation was canceled in 1666.
Under Napoleon Rothenhoff became an imperial French domain, it was given to the French General de la Houssay, who was successful at Jena and Auerstedt. French marines
under General Prince Eckmühl made quarters here for a short time. After Prussia had sold the estate to a Bremen merchant in 1822, it became a manor through
the purchase of land in 1848 and the owner, Caesar zu Rothenhoff, became a member of the Prussian manor house. This was the father of Sophie Henschel.
From 1945 to 1954, the Rothenhoff manor was used as the site of the Commander-in- Chief of the British Army on the Rhine. Prominent
guests at this time included Princess Margaret and Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, as well as Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery and General Dwight D. Eisenhower at the
Since the beginning of the 20th century there has been intensive gravel mining on the formerly agriculturally used areas. Because of the progressive gravel deposition,
the agricultural land and facilities were sold and leased to farmers in the area in 1971; the manor house and the park are used privately.
The parts of the park north of the mansion no longer exist. The park to the east of the house has largely retained its character. To
the south, the park is closed by a wall, to the east and north it merges into agricultural areas, bounded by hedges. The mansion
and the park are in good condition thanks to the owner‘s initiative.
Gut Rothenhoff covers an area of approx. 70 hectares, consisting of a manor house with approx. 1.200m² of living space and
a garden laid out in the style of an English park, various stables and halls, a granary, an administrator‘s house, an ebb and flow
riding arena and others Outbuildings.
In 1863 the mansion, a late classical building in the style of an Italian villa, was converted into a 2.5-story building. Personalities
such as Princess Margaret, Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh and Bernard L. Montgomery were guests in the manor house.
The farm buildings and the manor house date from the time of the Bremen merchant family Cäsar, who owned the estate from
1822 to 1915. Sophie Henschel, née Caesar, was considered one of the richest women in the German Empire. The property offers
a unique, secluded location with a view of the landmarks of the region (Hermannsdenkmal) and is characterized by the agriculturally
protected surroundings and the historical building fabric.
The manor house is currently in a partially renovated condition, most of the modernization measures, especially the technical
trades, have already been completed. We will be happy to provide you with detailed documentation on the renovation status
and the work carried out, including investment volume and costs.