Two Story, Single Family - Beaufort, SC The Talbird-Sams House is thought to have been built in 1786, structural evidence including the original porch form, tabby basement and molding details strongly supports late eighteenth century date. The two story is raised on a tabby basement, which during an early renovation was converted to additional living space for the house, now reflecting 5 bedrooms and 3 baths. Main 5 bay facade faces south with a central entrance. The entrance is enriched doorcase detail including fielded pilasters right and left and full entablature and a central pediment. Architecture on main floor affords single level left and right wings to produce the 'T' shaped plan. The house was listed as a part of Union Hospital #3 during the Civil War. The home still remains in the Sam's Family.