Ojai, CA, USA
The Ojai Grant became available around 1869. They bought and sold off some of this property, keeping 300 acres of the original purchase, now known as The Ojai Golf Club and Krotona Institute, and up to Minors Oaks. They also granted an easement and right-of-way into what is now the City of Ojai. They built a ranch house on Highway 33 and Ojai Avenue in front of the cemetery, where the railroad turn-around existed.
Their niece, Doris Carty, inherited parts of the ranch and sold off some land and the original ranch house to Adolph Spreckels, the sugar king. Parts of the land were sold for development such as a high school, hospital, etc., and the 32 acres across Highway 33 is now a preserve.
The Carty family received the land through Doris McDonnell Carty, Kenneth and Toni Grant's grandniece and down to her eight grandchildren. When sold, it will end a 150-year presence of one of the valley's founding families.