The Emily Trevor Mansion, a landmarked townhouse abutting the historic Carnegie family mansion in Manhattan’s upscale neighborhood of Carnegie Hill, is ready to host another family for $23.5 million.
The 25-foot-wide townhouse on 90th Street, between Fifth and Madison avenues, was built in 1926 on a demolished site for Emily Trevor, who devoted her quiet and unmarried life to philanthropy, but whose ancestors included Thomas Willett, the first English mayor of New York, and William Floyd, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, according to published reports.
The townhouse came onto the market for $35 million in 2005. There were several price cuts over the last couple of years, according to listing records on Realtor.com. The second–to-last listing was asking $24.995 million in July.
Trevor grew up in a townhouse owned by her brother John B. Trevor a block away and acquired her own property in 1926. She then commissioned architect Mott Schmidt to design a modern townhouse. Schmidt was responsible for renovating Victorian townhouses in Sutton Place, on the edge of the East River below 60th Street, into Georgian-style mansions, including one for wealthy theatrical and literary agent Elisabeth Marbury.
Trevor’s three-and-a-half-story Neo-Federal house was built of red brick laid in Flemish bond with white stone trimmings, a typical feature of this style. The double-entrance doors were sheltered by a Corinthian portico, which supported an iron-railed balcony at the second floor.
Inside, the townhouse was equally divided into three sections from front to back, with a stair placed in the center. “The delicate limestone doorway with leaf capitals and the diminutive scale of the facade give it an appropriate air of femininity,” according to the website of architect Mott Schmidt.
Emily Trevor moved into the house in 1929 and lived there until her death in 1943 at the age of 70. After her death, her nephew, John B. Trevor Jr., occupied the townhouse. The home was landmarked in 1974 during his residence.
He sold the house for $4 million in 1988, public records show. The current owners, who asked to remain anonymous, acquired the mansion for an undisclosed amount in 1993.
In 2010, the current owners renovated and restored the townhouse. While most historic design details were kept intact, it now has a south-facing rooftop terrace and 12,021 square feet of living space, featuring five bedrooms, five full bathrooms and three half bathrooms, according to the listing with Sotheby’s International Realty, which went live earlier this month.
The primary entrance portico leads into a marble-floored reception room, connecting to the elliptical staircase and a large elevator servicing all floors. A service entrance allows direct passage to the upgraded contemporary kitchen, which provides access to the garden terrace and lower level.
The second floor opens to an expansive gallery with 12-foot ceilings. The south-facing living room overlooks the Church of Heavenly Rest, while the dining room with a bay window leads to a 26-foot butler’s kitchen. The master suite occupies the third floor, completed with a wood-paneled library with fireplace and a wet bar.
On the fourth floor is a skylit media room, flanked by two full-width bedrooms with en-suite baths. Further up on the fifth floor is a grand atrium, including a gym, a full bath, a steam shower and a large sauna, according to the listing.
Listing brokerage Sotheby’s International Realty declined to comment.
Follow Mansion Global:Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | LinkedIn | Messenger
Write to us: email@example.com