Listing of the Day
Location: County Tipperary, Ireland
Price: €1.35 million (US$1.52 million)
This classic Palladian Georgian mansion, set on the banks of River Suir, with its own fishing rights and its own lake, is steeped in history both centuries old and modern.
The house was built by Colonel John Bagwell MP in about 1785. the Bagwells were a wealthy and influential family in South Tipperary from the 18th to 20th centuries, and John Bagwell a senator in the new Irish Free State. In 1923, during the Irish Civil War, the house suffered an arson attack by anti-Treaty IRA forces and the damage can still be seen today in scorch marks on the stable doors.
The Bagwell family rebuilt the central block of the house in 1925, though many original Georgian rooms and features were undamaged and remain unchanged. The house was kept in the Bagwell family until the 1970s when the current owner bought it. He is selling it to downsize.
The mansion, known as Marlfield House, is set on 31 acres and extends to 22,640 square feet, including five reception rooms and 14 bedrooms. The central block is set over four floors, the first and second have been divided into luxury apartments, but the ground floor and basement retain their original form. The apartments are created with stud partitions and careful thought has been given to maintaining the integrity of ceiling cornices, said David Ashmore, agent for Ireland Sotheby’s International Realty. Therefore, this could easily be reversed, subject to planning permission, and the house restored to its Georgian form, with the addition perhaps of some extra bathrooms.
Marlfield House represents “a wonderful example of Irish architectural excellence and significance,” Mr. Ashmore said. Irish architect William Tinsley designed its ornamental, grand gates. Richard Turner, famous for his orangeries, created the house’s impressive conservatory off the ground floor rooms, which has growing ferns, palms and vines. Turner was responsible for the Palm House at Kew Gardens in London, the Palm House at Belfast Botanic Gardens and the Curvilinear Range at the Irish National Botanic Gardens and was a pioneer in the structural use of wrought iron.
Original features in the principal reception rooms include big sliding sash windows, decorative ceiling plaster work, carved architraves and Adams-style chimney pieces. Off the central block are flanking “pavilions.” The eastern pavilion was originally a kitchen block; the western pavilion was stables. They now house more apartments.
Original wine cellars and a tunnel linking to the stable yard remain intact. Reception rooms include an office, library and a gym in the basement.
Not every home offers you the chance to dolphin-watch from your doorstep.
— Mansion Global (@MansionGlobal) March 27, 2017
The setting is ideal for nature lovers, overlooking verdant fields. The surrounding land is owned by a stud breeding farm and has views to the Comeragh and the Galtee mountains.
The town of Clonmel, which has theaters, shopping and museums, is a 10-minute drive away. It’s also known as the home of Bulmers Irish Cider, sold as Magners Cider outside of Ireland. Clonmel and Cahir golf courses and three large equestrian centers are within 20 minutes drive, while you can get to Cork airport in 55 minutes; Dublin airport is two hours away.
Agent David Ashmore, Ireland Sotheby’s International Realty
Write to Listing of the Day
Follow Mansion Global:Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | LinkedIn | Messenger
Write to us: email@example.com